Honors and Awards
- Finalist, Applied Probability Society Best Student Paper Award, 2019
- NeurIPS Travel Award, 2019
- Finalist, INFORMS Undergraduate Operations Research Prize, 2018
- MIT Presidential Fellowship, MIT, 2018
- Distinguished Undergraduate Thesis Award, Tsinghua University, 2018
- Outstanding Graduate of Beijing, 2018
- Outstanding Graduate of Tsinghua University, 2018
- National Southwest Associated University Scholarship, Tsinghua University, 2017
- Tang Lixin Scholarship, Tsinghua University, 2017
- December Ninth Scholarship, Tsinghua University, 2016
- Zheng Weimin Scholarship, Tsinghua University, 2016
- National Scholarship, Chinese Ministry of Education, 2015
At Boston Harbor, August 2019
My twin brother, Yunbei Xu, is currently a PhD student at Columbia University.
My Teddy Bear Collection
I love cute teddy bears! As a student I do not own a research group, but I do own a bear group. When professors advise students, I advise teddy bears.
I have collected 20+ teddy bears (of different brands, from different countries in the world) since I was a child. However, I cannot bring all of them with me to MIT, so I started a new collection project after I moved to MIT.
My current collection interest lies in the intersection of "bear-ology" and education. Specifically, I am interested in collecting teddy bears from different universities' bookstores.
Currently I have obtained 9 teddy bears from Columbia, Duke, MIT (x2), NYU, Queen's, Stanford, U of Florida and Yale, some of which are gifts from my friends. I put them on my bookshelf, where they are surrounded by some classical math textbooks, e.g., Princeton Lectures in Analysis. I hope that by doing so the bears can learn some "bearable mathematics".
I am always looking for
self-motivated cute teddy bears. If you find some cute teddy bears in your school's bookstore, please let me know. I will seriously consider visiting your school and recruiting buying them.
In my spare time, I enjoy reading literature, playing the violin, listening to music (classical, rock & post rock, jazz, ...), and watching sports games (nearly all kinds of sports).